Photo courtesy of Jeff Young
Jeff Young is a television host, travel expert and model who has lived and worked in cities around the world, including Paris, Hong Kong and Cape Town, South Africa, to name just a few. Ahead of the “maker” movement, he explored the local, independent and creative cultures that make neighborhoods pop on his web series In the Cut. Most recently, his Journey Through Turkey series followed him as he discovered the country’s storied history, stunning landscapes and exceptional cuisine firsthand.
We first met the California native back at last year’s Travel & Adventure Show in Long Beach, CA, so when Travel Channel headed to Santa Monica to look for the next Travel Channel Star, we caught up with him to find out who’s inspiring him (from the hipsters of Portland, OR, to the Turkish people’s Anatolian ancestors), the best way to see a city and where he’s headed next.
Where’s “home”?
Venice Beach, CA.
How many countries, cities or continents have you visited?
I’ve been to 6 of the 7 continents. More than looking at the numbers, I’m fortunate to come from a modeling background, so I had a chance to live in all kinds of wonderful cities for work. Through this experience, I learned the inner workings of cities, what daily life is like, the good and the bad in cities including New York; Paris; Istanbul, Turkey; Cape Town, South Africa; Sydney; and Hong Kong.
You recently documented your Journey Through Turkey. Why Turkey? What surprised you most about it?
Turkey is a place that has resonated with me since I first heard about Istanbul in 2003. At a Christian boarding school, I studied a lot of what I would come to know as Turkey — biblically, Asia Minor. From my first visit in 2003, every inch of Turkey has held endless fascinations, from the Greek and Byzantine history in the west to the Seljuk and Arab influence in the east.
Turkey has so many layers of adventure and exploration — the color of the sea, the majesty of the snowcapped mountains, the cultural pride in every area of the country and the globally renowned hospitality.
Photo courtesy of Jeff Young
You’re often squeezing outdoor adventures into your travels. Which of them stand out?
I love outdoor activities. Finding a small monastery carved into a mountain on the coast of Fethiye, Turkey, was especially wonderful. Later that trip, we paraglided off the closest mountain, Babadag, and hovered over the magical colors of Oludeniz. Exploring the cities and caves of Cappadocia was especially fascinating, as well as interacting with ancient Roman ruins throughout Turkey. The small villages that are in no shortage throughout the country provide a genuine look into the lives of the Anatolian people.
What’s your favorite way to explore a new city?
Get lost. I’ll get an idea, not really knowing where I’m going, but after a few blocks, I’ll glance at a map to get my bearings. After that, I explore each and every street on the block. They often hide the simple wonders of the city: a fountain, an art piece, a beautiful carving — or the best bar in town.
With In the Cut, you’ve explored cities through some of their unique neighborhoods’ cultures, art and designs. Which have been the most memorable?
The textures of the back streets are always special to each city. They inspire the design and cultural community. Istanbul has Karakoy and Tophane; Manchester, England, has the Northern Quarter; Cape Town has Woodstock; Portland, OR, has multiple fascinating neighborhoods, as do Nashville, Austin, New York, Los Angeles and so many more. What I’m fascinated by is the support of local business culture and the communities that are being built around these artisans. These neighborhoods are the new travel destinations.
Photo courtesy of Jeff Young
What advice would you offer a first-time traveler who needs to travel on a budget?
The best thing is to search for flights on an incognito browser. That saves $200 or more on many international trips. If you can plan ahead, that will be helpful, too — somewhere around 6 weeks out is ideal. I can’t stand thinking about travel unless I’m going soon, so you’ll find me traveling most spontaneously on last-minute fares. Hotel Tonight is a great app to save cash on places to stay. Otherwise, try hostels and, of course, Airbnb! Just be sure to communicate beforehand about whether the owners provide internet (and is it a great connection?), hand soap, dish soap and general cooking items, just in case. You can always bring your own, but if not, it’s easy to spend $50-$100 on unnecessary items. If you’re serious about consistent travel and want updates daily, JohnnyJet.com and TheBudgetMindedTraveler.com are good resources.
What’s 1 item you never leave home without when traveling abroad for a big trip?
I always take my running shoes. Running is a great way to gauge distances in the city.
What’s 1 destination you’ll never get tired of visiting? Why?
Istanbul. It is consistently reinventing itself. The young people are passionate about being international citizens. The pride in the food culture is outstanding.
What destinations are still on your bucket list?
Samarkand and Bukhara, Uzbekistan, which are Silk Road stops; the Mogao Caves in western China; the Mongolian steppe; Easter Island, Chile; Antarctica; a 6-month American road trip; and Southeast Asia, from Bhutan to the islands of Thailand. I want to travel to every major festival in the world from March until November. And beyond that, I’d like to create and host another travel show while visiting these destinations!
- See more at: http://blog.travelchannel.com/the-traveling-type/2015/03/24/our-type-of-traveler-jeff-young/#sthash.OUgNaUtT.dpuf
.png)
Không có nhận xét nào:
Đăng nhận xét